Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I don't remember much about my childhood at all I think maybe it is because I forced myself to forget it because I didn't like it, I always felt there was something missing. I remember that I was always a quiet kid and that I never fit in with the girls so instead I played wall-ball with the boys. I think playing with the boys inspired a thirst to prove myself.

Unfortunately being a quiet kid and wanting to prove myself couldn't both be done. I think this made me angry because I remember as I grew older I didn't really have a best friend anymore and throughout the rest of elementary school and middle school I was always butting heads with some of the boys and always avoiding friendships with the girls.

I became a loner until highschool when I found my spot with the diner junkies where I would disappear to for hours drinking dozens of cups of coffee a night, talking about music and just feeling free to be who I was. I remember always envying my new friends who felt comfortable being the center of attention because I was terrified to have all eyes on my and say something wrong and lose these friends. I think that's really where I began to adopt a different persona, one that used more drugs and did "harder" things.

This persona has caused me a lot of grief because I feel it to be a big fake lie. I don't believe that this person is me and I think it has caused me to retract the real me into myself again because people liked me when I was a junkie. People liked me when I was getting clean. But that is not who I am and I am desperate to break the cycle of what people think of me.

I guess I want to start over and make myself a better, more outgoing, more useful, person. I feel like I have no purpose and this barely-doing-anything day after day routine is really helping to make me feel useless and unwanted.

Maybe it's unjustified, I know I'm a good person but I'd really like a clean slate with some of my friends at least. But how am I supposed to do that? How am I supposed to come clean? I'm a big fake and it drives me crazy.

2 comments:

elaina said...

This is what I think. I think you need to find a new way to measure your success, your worth. It doesn't always come with an employee of the month certificate or daughter of the year award. But every time we hang up the phone and I feel even the slightest bit better, happier, or relieved...you've succeeded, and probably without really trying. Just because you can't see what you do for everyone else, does not mean that you are useless. and just in case you didn't know, you are NOT the person you were 5 years ago. not even close. you are honest, and reliable, and you have the ability to have a good day, to have fun, even when you feel like shit. you can lean on others when things get hard...that is not the same person I used to know. So before you really beat yourself up...take a step back, think about what is really important in your life, and try constructive criticism for a change. <3

elaina said...

p.s. I don't care if you didn't want my opinion.