Thursday, September 25, 2008

If you click here you'll be taken to a site with over fifty pictures that show a moment in time in the lives of a hundred different people over the world. There are no comments by any of the pictures in fact anything on the page is written in some completely different language but the lack of words allowed me to just see, understand and feel the many different emotions associated with any single one of these pictures.

It's a site like this where images of human suffering are so casually displayed that makes me reevaluate things in my life; reevaluate the things I take for granted like food, clean water, health care. Things given to me so freely that it is easy to forget how many people suffer. This is a break down of what the world would look like if the 6 Billion people on the earth were reduced to a mere 100 people. I know when I hear random facts and figures I can't really grasp what such a big number is, like 6 billion. It's a big number yeah, but I've never seen or counted or done 6 billion of anything; but 100, yeah I've done a hundred of a lot of things-held the door for someone, hurt someones feelings, been ungrateful, put a smile on someones face. One hundred isn't such a big number and to put things in that perspective is scary!

It makes me wish people were just nicer. Hell, it makes me wish I was nicer. At least I can do one of those two things.

No comments: